Contact††††††††††††† About and History
Non-Specific Low Back Pain
Low Back Pain is well known to at least 80% of people.
The cause can be ascertained in many cases with the help of modern diagnostic techniques such as MRI.
In other cases, these modern diagnostic techniques only serve to exclude all known and understood causes leaving "Non-Specific Low Back Pain"
(or "Discogenic Back Pain" as there is some evidence that such pain originates in the disc.)
In this Website, I suggest that the origin for Non-Specific Low Back Pain lies in an unexpected,
and as yet unrecognised, limitation in the flexion of the lowest two disks, L4/5 and L5/S
These two discs, and only these two, have evolved
in the human spine to have their normal range of
flexion and extension only on the extension side
of what might be called the central position (parallel
sided). In other words, the wedge shape of the disc,
as seen in lateral x-ray, should always be maintained.
The thickness of the disc anteriorly should always
be greater than the posterior thickness. (This, of course,
applies to the natural and pain free spine.)
This Suggestion raises a Multitude of Questions
1) Is this suggestion supported by any published work?
2) Is there a therapy corresponding to this?
3) Why has this strange shape evolved in the human spinal column? Columns are straight!
4) What is the pain causing mechanism?
5) Why is the pain so severe and so persistent?
6) Why is so much pain in the pelvis and leg? (S/I and Sciatic pain.)
7) What causes flexion to be excessive in an individual?
8) Will flexion beyond this parallel sided limit always cause pain?
9) Is this flexion limitation to be found in all of us?
10) If the answer to question 7 is the cause, what is the solution?
11) How is this connected with disc degeneration?
12) I donít understand the argument!
†††† 13) What Seating products are available?
This front page describes and explains the basic cause of low back pain. For thirty-six years I have studied
back pain and other musculo-skeltal problems that I have met as a chiropractor or as a human being with those very
†same problems myself ! This includes writings of all types during these years and development of multiple forms of car seat and office
†chair. Some of these are products sold by Pelvic Posture Ltd or Gorman Design Ltd but many were prototypes.
The next page attempts to put this into some logical grouping.